Monday, March 16, 2009

Destination Key Largo





I must say, my senses are on overload. Left is the view coming over the bridge approaching Key Largo from Miami. The water is an Art Deco blue, the architecture is low lying island style. No high rises here. We drove in on US 1 from Miami. It is warm here, I no longer have any recollection of the cold wet Tennessee climate.
Top left is the view from our 1st floor waters edge room. As I blog, my eyes see trees indigenous to the rain forest, a Tiki Hut and our very own pet squirrel. He (or she) walked right up to my feet.
There are bike paths all along the islands roadways, a long bike ride is about to be had. Later, we are taking an afternoon snorkeling trip. There will be three stops, one will be to the statue of Jesus in 12 feet of water. Don't know if I can dive 12 feet, however; I will make an attempt to kiss the feet of Jesus.
The Conch
I had my first conch fritter yesterday. I must say, I liked it very much. I will eat anything once, I will eat this again! The texture is very chewy, kind of like squid but much smaller bites. Steamed conch sounds good, will try later.
Hole in The Wall Restuarants
No name brand restuarants in Key Largo. Dinner was at Snappers. A local saloon and raw bar with live music. No alcohol or raw oysters for us, however; we took in the awesome live music at waters edge. Tiki torches lit the boardwalk, as we sat at the most perfect round table. Constant tropical breezes, as we enjoyed Dolphin with Hal's favorite sides, brocolli and sweet potato. The bread was yummy and the salad was so fresh. Our waiter, a Cuban local boy gave us the low down on his favorite snorkeling trip to Penne Kamp State Park. Nice guy, good tip!
Breakfast at the Hilton Key Largo Resort is the bomb! Hal and I feasted on fresh local fruit, shots of some kind of fruit puree, eggs, cheeses and my favorite; Raisan Bran. Hal is in heaven with all of the Starbucks coffee you can drink as I sniff the aroma and remember the days when I could enjoy it too.
More later from paradise...

1 comment:

  1. I love how both of you describe your adventures. You-all could go into writing. It makes me feel like I'm right there with you. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete