Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Engagement


We met on January 26 2008 at Tony's Pasta. I knew that there was something different about Hal from the time I laid my eyes on him. There was a kindness about him, when he talked about his family, when he pulled my chair out for me and especially when he talked about Natalie. You can determine the condition of a mans heart by how he treats his mother. Hal loves his mother and honors her in so many ways. I knew that he was for me when I saw him interact with her.
It was July when we began talking about marriage. Logistics was going to be a challenge, however; we worked it out. I love Atlanta, Hal loves Cleveland; we would live both places.
On a very hot and humid Monday, Hal drove to Cleveland and picked me up from work, he said, "Be ready to ride" which meant we were going to ride our bikes on the River Walk in Chattanooga. I didn't have a clue what he was up to. It was hot that day, we rode to the dam and started back. Hal got in front of me, I thought he was mad at me. Hmmmm, what did I do? We were rounding a curve, when I had him in sight, he was leaning over his bike in the grass. I stopped and ask him what was wrong. Hal said, I don't know Bren, come over here and help me. I laid my bike down and went over to his bike, he was on his knee...he then turned and faced me and dug a ring out of his pocket. When I saw it and realized what was happening I couldn't breathe and started shaking all over. I was soaked in sweat, dirt all over my hands and crying. There was a bench to our left, I had to sit down and get myself together. Hal ask me to marry him on that day and I will never forget every tiny little detail. I later learned that Hal had already driven to Huntsville the week before and told my brother. He also talked to my dad and gotten his blessing.
This is a chronicle of our life and adventures from this day forward.

3 comments:

  1. We're praying for you both as you begin this journey together, that God will bless you each day! We love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete